Sunday 7 March 2010

Teaching

I've been taking a range of poetry workshops with children in the primary sector.  I love the freedom to create, the excitement, the surprise and the satisfaction that writing a poem brings.  Actually I've had feedback from teachers that the child who is reluctant to write finished a piece of writing, that a child read out a poem that they might not normally volunteer to do so.  In other words writing a poem has created waves, created possibilities in the teaching of writing.

I use a scaffolding of a technique I have developed over a number of years.  I've collected really interesting photograhs and laminated them.  This allows the child to look at the world from a different vantage point- from  the view of a poet.

I learn also. This is most important to engage with my reading public.

No comments: