Monday 14 November 2011

Is Babysitting part of picture book ideas?

I've been busy, Grandma busy.
 What with swimming, toys, pictures and special treat food- (that orange blob in the photo is a mango!) and weekend sleepovers I've been busy.  But I'm road testing ideas all the time and listening- for example my 8 year old grandson reckons sometimes 'baddies' look better that goodies and my five year old granddaughter loved the book 'Make it I'm the Mother' by Andrew and Janet McLean and she's hooked on fairies, castles, princesses...

Take a picture of me Grandma!  I did.  I'm thinking, mulling, washing sheets, putting away Lego- 'you have such fantastic toys Grandma' and I look around my study- I do love toys and books- how lucky I am.  Now to chase that elusive picture book story.

11 comments:

tjoyy said...

Gee mum - let me know if you require any more inspiration!

Kaz Delaney said...

One of life's greatest gifts is grandchildren, and it looks like you're really enjoying your gift, Lorraine. I think all of us (writers for children)are inspired by the little people in our lives.I know I am. I adore them.

Lovely photos,gorgeous models (grin) and warm, fuzzy blog. It felt like I was visiting with you for a while. Nice work.

And btw, off-topic, but perhaps you should check out my winner announcement blog of last week at http://kerrilane.wordpress.com
<grinning again...)

Rochelle said...

Love the pics - takes me back to summer days sitting having an afternoon snack in my bathers at home (although never mango)!
What fun inspiration you have :)
xx

Dee White said...

Lovely post, Lorraine,

Wonderful to see where writers get their inspiration from.

Dee:)

Chris Bell said...

Hi Lorraine

What a gorgeous post, and time for you, Lorraine.

I sometimes wonder if I'm blessed enough to have grandchildren whether my writing will shift back towards younger children more. I found as my children grew up that I went from jnr fiction and picture book to YA and now writing for adults too. Of course, I still write for children too, but it was interesting to observe the gradual shift.

I'd love to say enjoy every moment with your gorgeous grandchildren, but I can already that see you do. :)
Chris

Dale said...

Sounds like you're having lot of fun at the same time.

Life's a poem said...

Kaz- what a thrill to win something too and agree that children's authors are kids at heart.

TJ- all inspired at the moment! Ha!

Life's a poem said...

Chris, glad you were able to post- that's an interesting comment about age groups and writing interests- I'd just like to do the lot- but definitely hanker after a picture book!

Lorraine

Life's a poem said...

Dee and Dale- love your support- write on!

Lorraine

Angela Sunde. said...

What gorgeous grandkids, Lorraine. A picture book about eating mangos - I like that idea

Life's a poem said...

Yes, could be Queensland inspired- the mangoes I mean Angela- these two love their fruit...I really want a picture book and am slowly writing...