Sunday 4 April 2010

Book fair

It's held every Easter and its for charity.  I love it.  This year I was convinced that I wouldn't have time to go.  I'm usually one of those who lines up outside ready for the first day's opening.


But I can't go past the historicial, the quirky.  The book that might just hold a gem.  In the weeks leading up to the book fair, I donated about seven bags of books.  I really pared back.  I read, then turfed books which I might have garndered from this self same book fair 15 years ago.

I've been re-reading classics like 'Pastures of the blue crane' Joan Aitken, Lloyd Alexander,  Leon Garfield, Elizabeth Goudge.  I have to read, read.  I've stopped my library borrowing for the moment- we head overseas in a matter of days, so I've been challenging the books on my many, many bookcases to justify their dust- gathering tenure.
There are gaps appearing; there is half a shelf to store transformer toys, a castle, a cash register, cars- all for the grand children.
And I did restrain myself- just a few books bought- simply becasue I only had an unexpected few minutes to attend the book fair...amazing place and so many families encourageing children to buy a book, or a child sitting in a corner reading.YES.  After all the books might set us back 50c a copy!!!

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

Lovely post Mum! How did you manage to get there this year?! Looks like you got some good finds at least!
xx

tjoyy said...

these look like lovely books - it is funny that you still managed to get there!!!