Monday 24 March 2014

Tagging Katrina Nannestad

Kate comes along this morning to answer the famous tagged questions.  If you haven't read Kate's books before you are in for a fantastic read and a chuckle.

Katrina Nannestad

What am I working on?
I am just beginning book two of a series I am writing called Olive of Groves. Olive is a ten year old girl attending a rather unusual boarding school. The headmistress Mrs Groves is bonkers, the students unruly and school life exciting but sometimes dangerous! I don’t want to reveal too much just now because the first book is not due for release until next year, but I am having loads of fun writing this series.

How does my work differ from others in its genre?
Although the story of Olive of Groves is wild and rollicking, it is also slightly old-fashioned. I love using quaint words and phrases and the narrator often interrupts the story to address the reader and express an opinion.
I use humour in all of my stories. Even when there are serious issues to be dealt with, the sadder moments are balanced with lighter episodes – not to belittle the issues, but to prevent them from becoming overwhelming for my reader and my characters.

Why do I write what I write?
I write humour because I like to laugh. I love comedy in movies, television shows, books and conversation.
I think laughter is a wonderful thing, especially out-of-control laughter that ends with a snort! Being able to make people laugh with me, or with my characters, is a real joy.
I also enjoy writing about strong female characters – girls who are seemingly normal but who can achieve great things. I was a bit of a tomboy growing up and I like the idea that girls can at least have a go at whatever they like. I don’t believe that we can all be whatever we want to be. I do believe, however, that we can all do something worthwhile with our lives and we can all stand up for what we believe in.


How does my writing process work?
It is always a bit tricky to explain the writing process. It can vary greatly from one story to the next.
I treat writing like a job. I need to be disciplined or I can get distracted. I have a study where I work and I have set times where I make myself sit down and write … even when I don’t feel like it … even if a friend invites me to the movies!
Sometimes it takes me a while to get going on a story. I make lots of notes and usually make a plan. Even so, I often wander down several different pathways before finding my narrator’s voice and the general flow of things.
I need big chunks of time to write a novel – days and weeks without interruption. It’s important to enter completely into the world I am creating, to get to know the characters and become lost in their world. When I’m absorbed in writing a story, I think about it all the time – when I’m walking my dog, when I’m cooking, when I’m meant to be conversing with someone on the telephone (sorry Mum!).
I edit my work continually - sometimes searching for the perfect word or phrase, sometimes after a chapter or two. If part of my storyline doesn’t feel right, I can’t go on until it is sorted. Once a book is finished, I like to put it aside for a few weeks then look at it anew before I send it to my publisher.


Thanks for sharing Kate and here's a link to more information about Kate and her book.   Best of luck with the Olive of Groves books- love the title!

No comments: