Thursday 9 July 2009

well crafted


I am a hoarder- it is a problem, but it's also a delight. Take for example this hand knitted ball- my grandmother always knitted gifts- I had baby clothes and toys in storage for my grandchildren. Now they are happening- up to three, a fourth one arriving in January. But this ball I wanted to give to one of my daughters but the yellow wool had rotted away- I reknitted the section and discovered little pieces of yarn as the stuffing inside. It's back to new, with a bell inside and working- I love the creativity that my grandmother has passed on- it survives in all the craft I love to tinker with and the creative solutions to my writing- hoarding scraps of memory to be sewn into a new manuscript.

4 comments:

tjoyy said...

this is just lovely mum - what a great post about re-making craft objects.

and the joy of giving handmade gifts that connect family across generations

tjoyy said...

this is just lovely mum - what a great post about re-making craft objects.

and the joy of giving handmade gifts that connect family across generations

Janeen said...

lorraine,

the knitted ball, the recrafting of a treasure, created from the hands of your grandmother - all linked to scraps of memory transposing into another whole - in writing.
I connect so deeply to those words and thoughts.

Life's a poem said...

Thanks Janeen,

yes you'd love the items- have another to put up on the blog soon- a UFO which is finally finished.

tjoyy always loves craft...